Saturday, October 4, 2008

Tragedy Strikes The Saint Preux Family Again

By Steve Lieberman and Vincent DiSalvio

Police at the scene of this morning's fatal motorcycle-car crash in Clarkstown. The motorcyclist's body lies beneath the yellow tarp on the lawn, at left. (Photos by Vincent DiSalvio/The Journal News)

CLARKSTOWN - A Spring Valley motorcyclist was killed in a fiery crash after hitting a car backing out of a West Clarkstown Road driveway shortly before 7 this morning, Clarkstown police said.

The motorcyclist, Evency St. Preux, 34, hit the driver's side front end and was thrown about 50 over the top of car, police said.

Both vehicles exploded into flames, with the flames engulfing the mangled motorcycle, Clarkstown Police Sgt. Harry Baumann said.

"The guy was thrown about 50 feet over the left side of the car," Baumann said. "His head probably hit the ground. The motorcycle was mangled in the crash."

Baumann said the shield broke off St. Preux's helmet and his body was lying on the ground on the lawn in front of a home, covered with a yellow tarp. St. Preux was pronounced dead at the scene, Baumann said.

St. Preux, a married father of six, was riding north on West Clarkstown Road when the collision occurred near Maryann Drive, police said.

Harold B. Dennis Jr., 31, of Slinn Avenue in Spring Valley, was inching his 2007 Dodge Caliber out of the driveway and nearby shrubbery may have prevented him from having clear view of the road, Baumann said.

He was backing up with plans on turning left and the 1999 Kawasaki motorcycle crashed near the driver's side toward the front of the car, Baumann said.

"If the guy was coming at any rate of speed, he would never would have saw him," he said.

The Clarkstown Accident Investigation Team, which reconstructions fatal and serious accidents, had not made any determination on the rate speed or final conclusions, Baumann said. No charges have been filed against Harold, Baumann said.

Police blocked off a stretch of the road from West Burda Place to Maryanne Drive so the Medical Examiner's Office could remove the body and police could investigate.

The Hillcrest Fire Department and Nanuet Ambulance Corps responded.

Source: LoHud.Com

No comments:

Post a Comment